West Virginia Department of Human Services is accepting school clothing allowance applications

The West Virginia Department of Human Services (DoHS), Bureau of Family Assistance (BFA) has begun accepting School Clothing Allowance applications for eligible children enrolled in West Virginia schools through July 1, 2024.

Each eligible student will receive a benefit of $200, which can be used to purchase appropriate school uniforms or useful items for families who sew clothes for their children.

Beneficiaries of the school apparel allowance program will receive an electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card in place of the traditional paper voucher. This system change allows both online transactions and an increased choice of vendors when purchasing school apparel or other items. The EBT card will function like a debit card and can be used at any retailer that accepts EBT cash transactions. Parents or guardians of children in foster care will receive school apparel allowance benefits in the form of a check.

The following parties automatically received the School Uniform Allowance benefit for each school-age child living at home by the end of June:

  • Families with school-age children who currently receive WV WORKS assistance;
  • parents of parents of children in foster care; and/or
  • Children ages four through 18 who receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, are enrolled in school, and have a household income less than 130% of the federal poverty level.

Families who receive a school clothing allowance in 2023 and currently have Medicaid coverage should receive a School Clothing Allowance Program application by mail at the end of June.

Others may be eligible for the school clothing allowance benefit, but monthly income cannot exceed $3,250 for a family of four. Verification of income for July 2024 must be submitted with the application. The chart below shows the income limits for the 2024 school clothing allowance program.

Number of persons in the family



Number of persons in the household























Families can apply online wvpath.wv.govTo request a paper application by mail, families can contact their local DoHS county office or the Office of Constituent Services Customer Service Center at 1-877-716-1212. Applications must be received by July 31, 2024.

Back to Home – Click here


Leave a Comment